Friday 24 May 2013

24 May 2013 Final Model

Today, I went back to Malaysia, I'm going to finish my final lighting in Malaysia.
I began to look for materials that use in my final lamp.I went to many hardware store to look for aluminium sheet.


I met a lot of problems. Such as how to cut the shape that I want.
I also asked some professional opinions, they said that if I want the lamp convenient to carry, aluminium sheet is easy to heat.

If long time to open the lamp to illuminate, aluminium sheet will be hot. In addition, the surface is easy to scraches. These problems are I didn't think and didn't find.

If I want to solve the above problems, unless I find to large factories, use aluminium sheet  of processed frosted. Then, I can make the shape and effect that I want.



After, I went to advertising company that I'm work before.This company is the specialized to manufacture large signboard. (Marrybrown fast food company's signboard are produced by this advertising company in Malaysia) I remember that material of signboard is Acrylic. After heating the Acrylic, designers can  change shape casually. This studio has many sign boards materials of different kinds . I can use these instruments to cut acrylic shape.







 In order to let my friend knows more about I want to use the material and made the effect. I brought my sketch and final 3D soft mockup to advertising company.


After that, I chose different types and colors of acrylic sheet that I want to use. Then, my friend help me to prepare instrument which can cut acrylic's shape .

Ideas1 Mockup of final concept


 Main function of this instrument is to cut the shape. Appearance is like a sewing machine, but this is the blade of the sewing machine.




The following photos is I just began to learn cutting Acrylic sheet. Instrument is difficult to control, I have cut the Acrylic out of control. Thus, the acrylic shapes were wrong.


My friend think my performance is too bad, so he demonstrated personally how to control the instrument to cut the acrylic sheet.


When cutting acrylic, the shape will appear some irregular.
After cutting, acrylic need to through steps of grinding edge flat  .


Then, I started to cut the transparent acrylic sheet.









Then, I have labeled a grind arenaceous transparent sticker on the acrylic.
The light projected on the translucent things, light will come out.




Then, I spent an afternoon in the studio, I think a lot of designs.
In addition, I have add some designs and some features. I'm face to a problem, that is how to put led lights in my design. It's because the dimension of my design is very thin, so it is difficult to hide LED lights.


Ideas2 Mockup of final concept

The second Ideas:
I do a smaller model, but it will be a certain thickness.



The images below are two different size comparison chart:


This is, I began to add borders,




When I measure size, it appear some deviation, Thus, my friend use cutting machine to embellish shape.





Then, the whole model was came out.


Today, I learned a lot of knowledge of making lamp. Although I'm very tired, but I feel a sense of accomplishment. From the beginning, I was very worried about how to find better materials and texture .
Finally, I made the model. In addition, I learned a lot of machine's usage, these machines are I never seen before.



















No comments:

Post a Comment